Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Dia de los Muertos~Georgia on My Mind

A few weeks ago I volunteered at The Day of the Dead, or Dia de los Muertos, at the AHC. I was really excited about this event because not only do I love Halloween but I was able to experience a traditional Mexican celebration as I myself am part Mexican. My paternal grandmother was a Mexican immigrant who came to California as a child. Her family worked on farms and other various jobs to create a better life for themselves seeking out the "American Dream" and to seek medical attention for their daughter, my grandmother, Gregoria, who later Americanized her name to Georgia. Georgia developed eye problems as a child and unfortunately she went blind. Despite this setback she lived a very productive life, married, and had two children. Amazingly enough my grandfather was also blind.


I have very few, vague memories of my grandmother as she passed away when I was only two but my family tells me she made the most amazing homemade tamales. She and her sister would sit in the kitchen making tamales all day speaking Spanish to one another {my father never learned Spanish so there is no telling what they were gossiping about!}.




Dia de los Muertos is a day to remember and pray for friends and relatives who have passed away. It is a Mexican National Holiday connected to All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day. Traditionally private alters are created and decorated for your loved ones with sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the deceased.

Altar
Traditional Dancers


Toys, Jewelry, and More


Create your own artwork!

Decorate your own jewel encrusted skull! These were actually really pretty and interesting to look at. Glitter galore!
Banana leaf tamale
Grandma Georgia I wish I could have a taste of YOUR tamales.
I thought of you as I enjoyed this one.

Love,
Bright Girl



No comments:

Post a Comment